Stay safe this winter! Install or check your carbon monoxide detector.

When heating, cooking or transportation fuels burn incompletely, carbon monoxide results. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas that can be poisonous or fatal. Devices that use any of the following fuels can potentially create CO: natural gas, propane, wood, oil, gasoline, coal and methane.

carbon monoxide alarm2To stay safe, follow these tips:

  • Keep your heating and cooking appliances in good working order and schedule a furnace tune-up.
  • Do not ever leave your car running in the garage, even if the door is open.
  • Install CO detectors and test them regularly.
  • During and after a snowstorm, clear the snow off of your outside vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace.
  • Never use gas or charcoal grills indoors.
  • If you use a generator, keep it away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT DELAY. Carbon monoxide exposure can rapidly lead to incapacitation and death. If you experience serious symptoms, get medical attention right away.

 

Comments are closed.